The System Tray is located in the bottom corner of your desktop. It contains miniature icons that provide quick access to different functions. Icons you might find in the System Tray include Volume Control, network connection status, Battery meter, etc.
If you don’t ever use the System Tray, you can hide it from view, although it does require you to edit the Registry, as described below.
- Click Start, type regedit in the search box and press Enter. The Registry Editor window appears.
- Within the Registry Editor, navigate to the following location: HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVersionPoliciesExplorer.
- In the right pane, create a new DWORD 32 bit value named NoTrayItemsDisplay.
- Double the new DWORD value and change the value to 0.
- Click OK and close the Registry Editor.