For those people who do not have third party anti-virus and anti-malware protection, there is free software available from Microsoft called Microsoft Security Essentials. The application offers fairly decent protection from viruses and malware. One of the nice things about Microsoft Security Essentials, aside from the fact that it is free, is that it integrates seamlessly with Windows.
You can download the application from Microsoft’s Web site.
Installing the application is straightforward:
- From the Microsoft Security Essentials Web site, click Download Now.
- Click the Run button from the file download box.
- Once the download is complete, the Welcome to Microsoft Security Essentials 1.0 Installation Wizard appears. Click Next.
- Click I accept to accept the licensing agreement.
- Click Validate.
- Once you copy of Windows is validated, click Install to begin the installation of the application.
- Click Finish.
Microsoft Security essentials will now be installed on your computer. The application should immediately update itself with the most recent anti-virus definitions.