When you insert a table in Word, the cells are not square. In other words, the height and width of a cell is not the same. If you want table cells to be square, you can easy change their height and width, as described in the steps below.
- Create a new table in your Word document.
- Select the entire table.
- Display the Home tab of the ribbon, click the small icon at the lower-right corner of the Paragraph group, and set Before and After to zero. This ensures sure that table paragraphs do not contain spaces before or after.
- Display the Layout tab of the ribbon.
- In the Cell Size group, specify identical sizes in the Height and Width boxes.
- Click the small icon at the lower-right of the Cell Size group.
- Click the Options button.
- Make sure all four cell margins are set to the same value.
- Clear the Automatically Resize to Fit Contents check box.
Word will automatically resize the table cells to match the values you specified in the steps above.