Remote Desktop can be enabled remotely by creating a new RDP listening port through the remote computer’s registry. You can accomplish this in Vista by completing the steps described below:
- Open the Registry Editor on your computer.
- From the File menu, click Connect Network Registry.
- Locate or type in the name of the remote computer. Click OK.
- Browse to the following registry key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SYSTEM \ CurrentControlSet \ Control \ Terminal Server.
- In the right pane, open the value called fDenyTSConnections (REG_DWORD).
- Change the value data from 1 to 0. This will enable Remote Desktop on the remote computer.
- Click OK and close the Registry Editor.
The remote computer must be restarted in order for the changes to take effect.
[tags]windows, vista, remote desktop[/tags]