By default, Windows will notify users 14 days before their password expires. You can change the 14 day value and increase or decrease it, depending on your requirements. This can easily be accomplished by editing the appropriate GPO or the local computer policy. You can change the default value in Windows XP using the steps below:
- Click Start and click Run.
- Type gpedit.msc and click OK.
- Expand the following: Computer Configuration | Windows Settings | Local Policies | Security Options.
- In the right pane, double click Interactive logon: Prompt user to change password before expiration.
- Configure the value you want to use, click Apply, and click OK.
- Close the Group Policy Editor.
If you are using Windows 2000, you will be looking for the Prompt user to change password before expiration setting under the Local Policies container.