User profiles allow a user to keep their personalized settings so they do not have to reconfigure their computer each time they log onto the computer. However, if you want users to have a pre-configured desktop environment, you can assign a mandatory user profile. The procedure for implementing this is described below.
Your first step is to create a shared folder that will store the mandatory user profile. Open the Computer Management console on the computer that will hold the profile. Create a shared folder and assign Everyone full control. You can then proceed to the following steps that involve copying the user profile you want to become mandatory to the shared folder.
- Click Start and click Control Panel.
- Double click the System applet.
- Select the Advanced tab.
- Click the Settings button under User Profiles.
- Select the profile you want to use and click Copy To.
- Type in the path to the location of the shared folder you created before beginning these steps. Click OK.
- Under Permitted to use, ensure that the appropriate users are listed.
- Click OK.
The last step is to rename the profile you just copied to the shared folder from Ntuser.dat to Ntuser.man.