Security templates are a good way to configure security settings on your computer. All the security settings are contained within a single file. You can easily apply the settings to the local computer using the Security Configuration and Analysis tool. Windows XP also comes with predefined templates that you can use or customize if necessary.
- Click Start, click run, type mmc and Click OK.
- Click File then Add/Remove snap-in.
- Click Add.
- Select Security Configuration and Analysis. Click Add.
- Click Close.
- Click OK.
- Right click Security Configuration and Analysis and select Open Database.
- Type in a File name and click Open.
- Select a template and click Open.
- Right click Security Configuration and Analysis and select Configure Computer Now.
- Click OK to use the default error log file path.
The security settings contained within the template will now be applied to the local computer. This is much simpler than having to configure each of the settings individually. It also allows you to easily apply the security settings again in the event that some of them are changed.