Yesterday I attended the #140conf here in Sioux Falls. I was disappointed to find that many of the attendees didn’t really use Twitter nor care about it. Instead, they kind of used the event as a place to be seen. Maybe for some people, there’s some confusion about what a tweetup is supposed to be. So, I thought I’d clear it up. I realize the definition can vary, but mostly, this is what a tweetup is to me.
What is a tweetup?
- Eating, drinking and hanging with other users of Twitter.
- Newbie Twitter users learning about Twitter.
- Tweeting every moment live.
- Getting to know new people.
What a tweetup isn’t.
- Promoting your business, book or other item for personal financial gain.
- Marketers and salesmen learning how to capitalize on Twitter.
- Bringing a clique of friends or co-workers and not talking to anybody else.
Basically, it’s where the geeks who tweet or want to tweet gather. It’s not a place for CEOs, presidents or business owners to show up in a suit and tie to mingle or see “what this Twitter thing is all about”.
Curious what you think a tweetup is. Please leave comments!