The news is good. No doubt prompted by the stimulus money to be had, but also by the news from Google. (I wonder if there is a city in Kansas that wishes to name itself Verizon?) Verizon has successfully tested 100G over its fiber network.
That means that one less link in the chain will be slowed by unknown problems. It also means that the cost of high speed is going to once again go down.
From InformationWeek the comes that the wireless side of things is also changing for the better -
Verizon Communications and Verizon Wireless on Monday announced the results of field trials of optical fiber and Long-Term Evolution networks, respectively.
Verizon Communications reported that its optical fiber transmission trial reached 100 gigabits per second. The trial was conducted with partners Juniper Networks, NEC Corporation of America, and Finisar. The test utilized standards-based optics end-to-end along with 100G native router interfaces.
How cool is this? Just as in hot rodding there is no substitute for speed. In this case, cubic inches are replaced by optical fibers. This is quite a jump from the memories I have of a 2400 baud modem, and telephone lines that were not very clean.
The announcement came as Cisco was preparing a major announcement for Tuesday, believed to be its entry in the 100G race. Google has already said it plans to test 100G networks in selected regions.
Also on Monday, Verizon Wireless said its field trials of its test networks in Boston and Seattle indicate its LTE wireless network is capable of “peak download speeds of 40 to 50 Mbps and peak upload speeds of 20 to 25 Mbps.” Real-world numbers are lower, however. Verizon Wireless is 55% owned by Verizon Communications. The remaining 45% is owned by Vodafone group.
Networking companies are lining up at the starting gate as the Federal Communications Commission prepares to submit its long-awaited National Broadband Report to Congress next week. The FCC has also said it is preparing its own plan for a 100G broadband network.
In announcing its successful 100G test, Verizon noted that it has already built a 100G deployment on a portion of its European network. Verizon noted that the multivendor test validates the maturity of standard 100G transfer rates, which are scheduled to be ratified by the IEEE and the ITU-T in June.
The 100G test, which included the demonstration of live video traffic, utilized a 100G interface on Juniper’s T1600 Core Router, NEC’s SpectralWave DWDM system, and Finisar’s 100G CFP optical transceiver modules.
In the Verizon Wireless tests, the company said its data calls involved streaming video, file uploads and downloads, as well as Web browsing. VoIP calls were also carried out on the tests. Verizon Wireless said real-world LTE environments will offer 5-12 Mbps on the downlink and 2-5 Mbps on the uplink in mobile browsing speeds comparable to most customers’ existing online Internet speeds.
“We are on track to deliver an outstanding wireless data experience to customers in 25 to 30 markets covering roughly 100 million people by year’s end,” said Tony Melone, the firm’s senior VP and chief technical officer, in a statement.
I am less interested in wireless speed, but that will be nice for those that must use wireless for data transmission. The good thing is that we now have some competition, with Google and Cisco pushing, and Verizon responding. The move will bring broadband to more people and with more speed. Perhaps if another land carrier, say Qwest or Sprint, gets involved, the last mile problem just may disappear.