The answer to this is a simple YES! Today I received two sticks of 1 GB RAM for my laptop to replace the existing two sticks of 512 MB RAM and I can honestly say that my computer runs like it never has before. Obviously upgrading any part of your computer will help, but with the various things running in the background in Vista (i.e. Sidebar, Windows Firewall, and maybe DreamScene), the more memory you have the better. It’s a crime to run with anything less than two GB. While running with 1 GB was by no means bad at all, sometimes things tended to freeze up or bog down. Here are some of the things that have improved dramatically with the 2 GB upgrade.
- DreamScene now runs smoothly with no freezing or slow video.
- The bootup time was cut by almost 10 seconds.
- Sidebar loads in a second now.
- Opening most programs is now instant and the most notable is Outlook 2007.
- Multitasking is now a non-issue for me, seeing as I always have over 60% of my memory available.