Capcom, a powerhouse in the multi-billion dollar video game industry, today released Okami, a new innovative action adventure game for the PlayStation 2 computer entertainment system. Okami tells the story of a mythical sun god who sets out to restore a dismal world, decimating the forces of evil who stand in the way by commanding the elements and mythical abilities the deity possesses. Mixing Japanese folklore and a stunning traditional Japanese art style, players must utilize an inventive control scheme to overcome the challenges and evil that awaits. Okami is the brainchild of Capcom’s Clover Studio which is renowned for such ground-breaking and critically acclaimed titles including the Steel Battalion and Viewtiful Joe series. Okami’s addictive and mesmerizing gameplayis now available at retailers across North America and carries an “T” rating for teen audiences by the ESRB (Entertainment Software Rating Board).
In Okami, the legendary monster Orochi has come back to life and turned the world into a wasteland. To restore the earth’s natural order and beauty, players assume the role of wolf-embodied sun god Amaterasu and participate in numerous action packed battles against the ominous beings they encounter. However, conquering these impending enemies is no small feat. Amaterasu will travel through different regions of the world to regain her “Celestial Brush” powers, all the while revitalizing everything in her path. Using an innovative control scheme, gamers can slash away at enemies, use various brush strokes to solve puzzles, create pathways, chop down trees or turn night into day. The real-time fighting system not only involves assorted brush techniques, but also myriad of specials attacks typically not associated with the physical prowess of a normal wolf.
Featuring a visually stunning art style, Okami comes alive through beautiful scenic 3D levels that have the appearance and texture of paper scrolls brushed with watercolor-like calligraphy art. Throughout the vibrant and distinctive surroundings, players must also interact with a dynamic cast of characters, building their faith to uncover clues and hints. The blend of stylized graphics and unique gameplay will result in a rich and dynamic experience never seen before.
Okami includes the following features:
– Create and destroy at will – Play as a god to re-establish order and beauty to a world laid barren by evil.
– Innovative gameplay and control scheme – Defeating monsters requires the usage of not only physical attacks, but also Amaterasu’s ‘Celestial Brush’ to paint the desired powers for decimating enemies and solving puzzles.
– Intense action-packed battles – Rooted in Japanese folklore, fight against a diverse line-up of demons and monsters.
– Utilize various gameplay styles – In addition to the Celestial Brush, Amaterasu can wield three types of offensive weaponry, each with their own unique abilities and effects. Depending on how a weapon is equipped, it can be used as the main or sub weapon:
o Reflectors – These well-balanced weapons are suited for close range combat
o Rosaries – Sacred magatama beads are great for quick long range attacks
o Glaives – These can be charged up to unleash powerful close range attacks
– Intriguing main character – Assume the role of the sun god, Amaterasu, who descends upon the earth in the form of a wolf. The Japanese translation of the word wolf is “Okami”.
– Original visuals and revolutionary design – Vibrant and inspiring graphics, reminiscent of traditional Japanese art created on paper scrolls, produce a large variety of stages with a watercolor-esque appearance.
– Interact with a unique and dynamic cast of characters.