Looks like some Dell Axim ROM upgrades are out on the Dell Support site for you X50 and X50v owners. The updates are 22 and 24 MB respectively. Here are the features for the X50 ROM upgrade:
1. Improved SD and CF read performance.
2. Updated wireless button usage scenario to avoid enabling / disabling wireless accidentally.
3. Allow the WLAN auto power-off feature to be enabled and/or disabled in the WLAN utility.
4. Added feature in the power applet to change the color of the battery power bar to reflect the battery capacity.
5. Associated the .dbk files with the Data Backup program.
The X50V ROM upgrade some of the same features plus three others, some VGA or video functionality:
6. Improved GAPI performance.
7. Improved touch panel performance and sensitivity. (Sensitivity is good!)
8. Enhanced the video driver to be more robust.
Be certain to back up your data and consider backing up the current ROM. Also of note having found out the hard way: you must have your Dell plugged in via AC adapter or the ROM will not upgrade. Plan for the entire process of backup and update to be 20 minutes.