Most web browsers keep a history of what web pages you have visited, as well as form and search history, and download history. This information is usually stored in the temporary internet files on your computer in the form of cookies, browsing history and cached webpages. These files are often unnecessary, and can slow your computer down if there are too many. You may also want to clear this history and tracking data if you share a computer with roommates or family, or if use a computer at work that others can access. If you use a computer running Windows Vista, deleting your search history is easy. Regardless of what browser you use, here is how to delete your history on a computer running Windows Vista:
- Click on the Windows icon on your taskbar (or in classic view, click the “Start” button).
- Choose “Control Panel” from the list.
- Double-click the “Internet Options” icon in the Control Panel window.
- Choose the “General” tab.
- Click on “Delete” under Browsing History.
- Click “Delete All” in the Delete Browsing History window.
- Choose “OK.”
You can also delete search history by clearing search history directly in web browsers running on Windows Vista.
To Delete History In Firefox 4:
- At the top of the Firefox window, click on the Firefox menu, go over to the History menu and select Clear Recent History. (For Windows XP: At the top of the Firefox window, click on the Tools menu and select Clear Recent History.)
- Then, select how much history you want to clear.
- Next, click the drop-down menu next to Time range to clear to choose how much of your history Firefox will clear.
- Click the arrow next to Details to select exactly what information will get cleared. Your choices are described in the What things are included in my history? section above.
- Finally, click the Clear Now button and the window will close and the items you’ve selected will be cleared.
To Delete Search History in Chrome:
- Click the wrench icon on the browser toolbar.
- Select Tools.
- Select Clear browsing data.
- Then, select the “Clear browsing history” checkbox.
- Use the menu at the top to select the amount of data you want to delete. Select beginning of time to clear your entire browsing history.
- Click Clear browsing data.
To Delete Search History in Internet Explorer 8.0+
- Click the Tools menu.
- Select Delete Browsing History.
- Select the “History” and “Form data” checkboxes.
- Click Delete.