Most Web browsers keep a history of what Web pages you have visited so it is easy for you to find a previously visited Web page. If you use a search-specific toolbar as a plugin on your browser, such as one provided by Google or Yahoo, these toolbars will also remember your search history. Sometimes you may want to clear this history, though, especially if you share a computer with roommates, family, or use a computer at work. If you use either the Google, Yahoo or Windows Live Toolbar (which supports searches in using Bing), here is how to delete your toolbar search history.
If You Use the Google Search Toolbar:
- Click the Toolbar’s wrench icon.
- On the Search tab, deselect “Store search history on my computer.”
- Click Save. This will delete your Google Search Toolbar history.
If You Use the Yahoo Search Toolbar:
Yahoo explains that instructions for clearing the search history within Yahoo! Toolbar depends upon on which web browser as well as which version of the Yahoo! Toolbar you are using. To access the Yahoo! Toolbar settings to delete your search history, either click the pencil icon or the Settings tab in your Yahoo! Toolbar.
If You Use the Windows Live / Bing Search Toolbar:
- Right-click on the Windows Live Toolbar.
- Then, Click on Toolbar options…
- On the left navigation pane, click on Search and Add ins.
- Finally, Click on Clear previous searches. This will delete your Windows Live / Bing Search Toolbar history.
You can also delete your search history by clearing search history in your specific web browser. Here’s how:
To Delete Search History in Safari:
- Open Safari and click on Edit.
- Then, choose Reset Safari…
- A popup will then ask what features you want to reset in Safari. You can choose from:
- Clear History
- Empty the Cache
- Clear the Downloads
- Remove all the Cookies
- Remove the Web site Icons
- Remove Saved Names and Passwords
- Remove other AutoFill form text
- Clean recent Web searches
- Close all Safari windows
Though clearing just the history will remove the history of websites in Safari, selecting all of these boxes for a complete Safari reset will completely flush all of your browsing data. To see if your history was clear, you can check the History tab in Safari to ensure it is empty.
To Delete History In Firefox 4:
- At the top of the Firefox window, click on the Firefox menu, go over to the History menu and select Clear Recent History. (For Windows XP: At the top of the Firefox window, click on the Tools menu and select Clear Recent History.)
- Then, select how much history you want to clear.
- Next, click the drop-down menu next to Time range to clear to choose how much of your history Firefox will clear.
- Click the arrow next to Details to select exactly what information will get cleared. Your choices are described in the What things are included in my history? section above.
- Finally, click the Clear Now button and the window will close and the items you’ve selected will be cleared. This will delete your search history in Firefox.
To Delete Search History in Chrome:
- Click the wrench icon on the browser toolbar.
- Select Tools.
- Select Clear browsing data.
- Then, select the “Clear browsing history” checkbox.
- Use the menu at the top to select the amount of data you want to delete. Select beginning of time to clear your entire browsing history.
- Click Clear browsing data. This will delete your search history in Chrome.
To Delete Search History in Internet Explorer 8.0+
- Click the Tools menu.
- Select Delete Browsing History.
- Select the “History” and “Form data” checkboxes.
- Click Delete. This will delete your search history in IE.