Most Web browsers keep a history of what Web pages you have visited, as well as form and search history, so it is easy for you to find a previously visited Web page. Sometimes you may want to clear this history, especially if you share a computer with roommates, family, or use a computer at work. If you use Firefox, clearing this history is easy, but varies depending on which version of Firefox you have.
To Delete History In Firefox 4:
- At the top of the Firefox window, click on the Firefox menu, go over to the History menu and select Clear Recent History. (For Windows XP: At the top of the Firefox window, click on the Tools menu and select Clear Recent History.)
- Then, select how much history you want to clear.
- Next, click the drop-down menu next to Time range to clear to choose how much of your history Firefox will clear.
- Click the arrow next to Details to select exactly what information will get cleared. Your choices are described in the What things are included in my history? section above.
- Finally, click the Clear Now button and the window will close and the items you’ve selected will be cleared.
To Delete History In Firefox Version 3.5
- Click on tools from the main menu bar and then click on Clear Recent History.
- This will open the Clear Recent History dialogue box.
- Choose the time range to clear – your options are browsing history from within the last hour, last two hours, last four hours, today, and everything.
- You can then click the arrow next to details to see exactly what parts of your history will be cleared.
- Finally, click Clear Now to remove your browsing history in Firefox.
To Delete History In Firefox Versions 2 and 3
- Click on Tools, then click on Options.
- Next, click on the Privacy icon.
- In Firefox 2, click the History tab, and then choose for how many days you’d like it to REMEMBER the browsing history. Then, click Clear Browsing History, which will clear everything beyond those days.
- In Firefox 3, you can choose to keep browsing history for a specified amount of days, or not. Then, you can delete your history by clicking Clear Now under Private data.
If you are using the current version of Firefox you can also set Firefox to clear your history automatically. Here is how:
- At the top of the Firefox window, click on the Firefox button (Tools menu in Windows XP), and then click Options.
- Select the Privacy panel.
- Set Firefox to Use custom settings for history.
- Check the box for Clear history when Firefox closes.
- To specify what types of history should be cleared, click the Settings… button next to Clear history when Firefox closes.
- In the Settings for Clearing History window, check the items that you want to have cleared automatically each time you quit Firefox.
- After selecting the history to be cleared, click OK to close the Settings for Clearing History window.
- Click OK to close the Options window.