The Linksys WRT54G broadband router is a very popular router. Finding the login settings can be tricky if you don’t need to do it frequently. To make matters more complicated, every router company provides slightly different default credentials for how to log in to the router. When you first set up the router, you may need to log in to the router to configure its settings and you should definitely log in to change the default password. The one other change you should make for any router is to set up WPA2 encryption. This keeps data sent over the connection secure from outside sniffing.
The instructions for how to log in will differ slightly after the first time you log in, because future logins will require the password you assign to the admin account. Should you need to remember how to log in to your Linksys WRT54G router, follow these steps:
- First, connect the modem and router to your PC by attaching the modem to the routerâ€™s Internet port. Then, attach the router to the PC via any of the four Ethernet ports in the back of the router. You definitely want to use a wired connection to make router changes in order to prevent the connection dropping in mid-change.
- Open your Internet browser on the PC connected. Type the following into the URL bar of your browserÂ : 192.168.1.1. Hit enter.
- You will then be directed to the login page for the router.
- If this is the first time you connect, or if you reset the router, leave the username blank, and type in “admin” for the password. If you changed the password at some point, you will need to use your password or reset the router.
- After entering the correct password for your Linksys WRT54G, you are now logged in and can make any necessary settings changes.