Unlike the previous version of Virtual PC, you can download and install Virtual PC 2007 at no cost. To obtain a copy, navigate to this Web site. Click the Download button beside the version you want to download. From the Security Warning dialog box, click Save and choose the location where you want the executable saved.
Once you have downloaded the setup file, you can proceed with the installation steps.
There are two different scenarios for installing Virtual PC 2007. You can proceed with a new installation or, if you are running Virtual PC 2004, you can upgrade directly to the latest version.
Performing a Clean Installation
Assuming that your computer meets all the hardware and software requirements outlined in part one of this series, you can continue with the installation steps. Complete the steps I describe below if you are installing Virtual PC 2007 on a computer that is not running Virtual PC 2004 Service Pack (SP) 1.
- Locate the Virtual PC 2007 set up file. Double click Setup.exe to launch the Setup wizard.
- Click Run if you receive the security warning.
- Click Next when the Microsoft Virtual PC 2007 wizard appears.
- Accept the terms in the license agreement and click Next.
- Enter your customer information. Choose whether to install the application for anyone who logs onto the computer (default) or for the current user only. Click Next.
- Set up installs the application to C:\Program Files\Microsoft Virtual PC. Click the Change button to select a different location.
- Click Install.
- Click Finish.
[tags]virtual pc, virtual pc 2007[/tags]