Jailbreakers, rejoice! Cydia, the customizable jailbreak app store which is the first thing installed when you crack open your iPhone or iPad, has been updated to version 1.1. Cydia has always been a little slow and the search was not the best, and this update has taken those shortcomings to heart–the app has been improved in all areas.
The changes to Cydia are numerous, and include speed and stability improvements, a better queuing system for installing multiple packages at once, and a greatly improved search. Your searches are more accurate, and the results they return are sorted by apps, themes, and other features so you can find exactly what you’re looking for. The speed improvements are also immediately noticeable, on the iPhone 4 Cydia used to lag and hang all the time when switching between sections, but now the different tabs of Cydia load instantly. The speed of of version 1.1 is on an entirely different level than before, apparently the app has been “nearly rewritten from scratch to be better than 1.0.”
You’ll also notice UI tweaks and minor improvements that simply make your experience using Cydia much better. The “Changes” tab, for instance, now lists installed packages first, so you can see what you have installed easily, not just when an app has an update.
Installing Cydia 1.1 is easy, here’s how:
- Open Cydia on your iPhone or iPad.
- Tap on the “Changes” button to view the Changes tab.
- You should see “Cydia Installer” package at the top of a list with an update available, tap it to open the Details page, seen below.
- Tap “Modify” and then “Update Package” to begin the process of upgrading Cydia. The installer will run, and you’ll be returned to Springboard once it finishes.
- Load Cydia again to verify the update completed–you should see “Cydia 1.1.1” at the very bottom of the main “Cydia” tab.
- Enjoy your updated jailbreak app store!