Bad Technology – Are You Tired Of It?

I just got finished reading an article by Jesus Diaz, in which he claims about the sloppiness of todays hardware and software. He complains about products such as the iPhone, Vista and other stuff being rushed to market. That we consumers than end up with unfurnished or half-baked products that need to be fixed on the fly. Overall his article has a ring to truth in it.

But the fix is simple. So simple that we won’t do it. Stop buying the first generation of any product and quit being a guinea pig for big corporations. Easier said than done. I’m just as guilty as those who are reading this. I usually enjoy the latest toys as well.

But one thing I have learned over the years. It is usually better to wait and let others be the testers. Let others anguish over trying to get fixes, updates, repairs, service packs and so forth. As I recently wrote, I just got a new laptop with Vista on it including SP1. It works fine for me. I could of been a first generation tester, but I chose to wait. I believe it paid off in the long run waiting until fixes were in place.

Diaz states:

On the other side, my parents have a Telefunken CRT TV and a Braun radio from the ’70s which are still in working condition. They were first generation. They never failed. Compare that to my first plasma TV from Philips, which broke after less than a year of use. Mine wasn’t the only one. The technology was too young to be released; it was still in beta state. Philips wanted to be the first in the world with a flat TV and beat the competition, so they released it. This probably wasn’t a good move: Today, Philips’ TV business is struggling, and is nonexistent in the US. Meanwhile, my Sinclair ZX Spectrum and Apple IIe from the 1980s still work like they did from day one, perfectly.

So what do you think? Is it worth it getting the latest technology or software, knowing that there might be issues?

Comments welcome.

Source.

Article Written by

I have been writing for Lockergnome for eight years.

Comments

1. the oracle says:

It reminds me of something I was told as a child – There’s never enough time to do something right, but always enough time to do it over.

It really has less to do with 1st gen products than the willingness of people to put up with inferior products, and the wait for fixes. If, when something with a problem is released, everyone who buys it takes that product back, instead of waiting for the promise of a fix, the problem is solved. The manufacturers would quickly change the way they bring things to market.

I have had several things, especially motherboards with BIOS problems, that never got fixed. Promises were made, and the expectations were high, then the product was discontinued, and that was that. It reminds me of ATi back in the days of the Mach 8 and Mach 32 chipset cards. They were buggy as could be, and there were always drivers, released to fix the problems, but then, after about 6 months, a newer product was released. The word from ATi was that the newer revision WAS the fix. That turned me off from ATi products for many years.

2. Ron Schenone says:

Hi Marc,
    Good points. I hope you have a great Turkey Day.

3. William C. Toundas says:

My first mac was a 6290, but I had to take it back because it had a logic board problem. My second mac was a 7200, which was a wonderful machine.

4. Jeffrey Murray says:

Well my first computer was an apple IIc my family had since I was little, but my first mac was an iBook G4. Its a pity I don’t have either of them anymore.

5. my first mac, oddly enough was a clone, a starmax 3000 that was given to me when I first decided to try my hand at mac hardware. I later assembled a G3 desktop from a pile of parts. I still have both.

6. Kevin Rubin says:

My first Mac was a PowerBook 1400 that I bought in 1997 when I finally felt like I had enough money saved up to buy my first Mac (I’d been wanting one since about 1984, but always too low on cash and bought the cheapest PC parts I could get). It was fun.

Unfortunately, it died a heroic death in 1998… It was in my backpack, on my back, when I got hit from behind by a Jeep. There was an ear shattering *CRASH* noise and I don’t know how long I was face down on the pavement before I crawled home. When I finally tried the Mac a few days later it was damaged inside, though not a scratch or ding on the outside… I think it must’ve absorbed enough of the impact to save me, though…

It wasn’t my first Apple, though… I went through most of high school with an Apple //e.

7. thomas caroscio says:

My first was a Macintosh XL, if that counts as a macintosh. For those who may not be old enough to know what that is, it was a refurbished Lisa, that emulated the Mac OS. I got it in the early 90s and It still powers up, but I do not have it running very often.

8. Amiga 500!

9. Marc Newman says:

TSR 80 Color Computer. It was a Christmas gift (new) in 1982. Came with 8k or RAM, and I upgraded it to 16k.

10. The ill fated Commodore Plus 4, had it for a few days and took it back to the store for the Commodore 64.

11. Anonymous says:

Haven’t owned one, yet – I really dislike walled gardens. Plus, I’d ultimately end up installing Slackware or Ubuntu on it, which I can do on a cheap Intel or AMD based device.

12. Powerbook G4 12″ 1.5GHz

13. Jim McCusker says:

My first Mac was the 128k Mac that I purchased for college in 1984. Prior to that my actual first computer was the TRS-80 Model II with the 48K expansion interface and two floppy drives.

14. I built my first computer, a Heathkit (Zenith) 89. We built our first prototype for on-line shopping in 1983 on this computer, and then ported everything to the IBM PC. We provided hardware and software reviews using PCWorld’s Annual Software and Annual Hardware reviews, and allowed people to buy software online (300 baud and then 1200 baud) and allowed people to download demo versions of the software. We were only a little too early to the market…should have patented everything I guess. :) The name of the company was DirectNet, and Dave Bunnell was our sponsor at PCWorld.

15. Bob Dunn says:

First one I used, was an Apple e around 1983, then shortly after that bought my first Apple, the Mac 128 K. And since then, well, lot’s of models and I’ve never look back : )

16. Anonymous says:

My first ever computer was a Mattel Aquarius in 1983 when I was 6. My first ever Mac was an LCIII in 1993.

17. differentspirit says:

I had to look up pictures and specs of old Macs to figure out what my first one was, a Mac Plus. It was my very first computer, so it revolutionized my life in the way, I think, everyone’s personal computers revolutionized their lives at that time. I bought it used from one of the offices where I worked in the late 1980s when they upgraded. I used it until I bought my second, a Performa 475, which I bought new in 1995. I went online with that computer in 1999. My third was an iBook G4, bought new in 2003, which has been casually upgraded several times. I still have both the Performa 475 and the iBook G4. I only use the iBook G4, along with one (a laptop) of three PCs I also own (I’ve always been a switch hitter, although my preference is for Macs). I’m not sure why I keep the Performa (or two of the three PCs)…probably for the same reason people keep their families!

18. Ironic to think that my family spent over $2K in 1983 on an Apple IIe with a dot matrix printer for me (though it was much loved and well used), then another $2K in 1986 for my Mac as a special discount from the college bookstore, but I think a MacBook Air for $1200 today is criminal (though yes, I bought one). And in that time I’ve gone from 5.25″ floppies to 3.25 in to now no drives. It took a long time to toss the old disks and storage systems, but then, you eventually realize you’re probably not going to use a 5.25″ disk again.

19. Doctor Partridge says:

Jessica, a Macintosh IIcx was my first work Mac (if you don’t count ‘Angel’). My own personal one was TARDIS(1) a Mac mini circa 2007 with Leopard

20. The Doctor says:

I first used Dr Maher’s lab Mac (a IIx I think) called Angel but my first Mac to ‘own’ in terms of purely personal use was Jessica, a IIcx running 7.1. After her came Kimberley, a Centris 660av on which I wrote up my PhD thesis. I didn’t actually buy my own machine for ages then, until I was living in a friend’s place and needed a machine which was small (but bigger on the inside); TARDIS – this started my Mac mini collection. I renamed it TARDIS1 and she’s become my friend’s daughter’s main machine as I moved onto TARDIS2. I’ve got a TARDIS2b as well and special plans for building a TARDIS3, let alone all the others!!!

21. The Doctor says:

As you may notice, I name all my computers, Macs, PCs and everything else. I believe that you ought to name your PERSONAL computers else how can you refer to it? Actually, it allows to form an emotional bond to it (and hence you might look after it better!) than just calling it PC343456 or whatever. Yes, I was an IT Manager and encourage bonding / looking after your kit! My iPad is called Eric, by the way!

22. Paddy Gordon says:

Had a PowerMac G3 years ago then got a MacBook and then a MacBook Pro in 2009

23. laser says:

My first Mac was an Emac G4 and an iMac G3 working together and i loves it

24. Anonymous says:

my first and only Mac was a Lisa, which was given to me. it was very basic.