To root or not to root, how do you decide? Too much is made out of the idea of rooting phones, and too much misinformation is spread about the risks and dangers of this process. To tell you the truth, it’s quite easy, painless, and risk-free, especially on the Fascinate. If you spend a few minutes going through this guide, you’ll be able to open up a world of features and customization that were never possible before. After rooting, it’s possible to install a free wireless tethering app, remove unnecessary bloatware from your phone, install themes, and even upgrade to newer, experimental versions of Android. Whether you want to do all of those things or only dabble, here’s a guide to do it on the Fascinate.
- Install Samsung’s phone drivers on a Windows computer (64 bit) or (32 bit)
- Enable USB debugging mode on your Fascinate. Press the Menu button, go to Settings -> Applications -> Development, then check the “USB Debugging” box.
- Plug the phone into your computer.
- Download 1 Click Root (ZIP), and run START_ROOT from the extracted folder. Don’t touch your phone until the program says that it’s been completed (Can take up to 5 minutes)
- Once the phone has been rooted, you should see the “Superuser Permissions” app in your phone’s applications drawer.
If you see that app, you’re good to go! Now you can work on Removing Bing and Bloatware, getting Wireless Tethering, or installing a theme.